9.9.09

Suprises.

Sometimes a small suprise really makes your day.
Today, for example, I had quite a normal day (apart from having a bad stomach bug for two hours).
And then I find out that my omni grandparents/mother want to go out to the local pub/restaurant for dinner. I was more than a little apprehensive about this, because I highly doubted that there would be anything for me to eat, other than maybe a tiny salad. But we went, and when the waitress came I told her that I was vegan. She said she could speak to the chef and see what options there was, and I repeated that I didn't eat meat or dairy, or any other animal products. I felt bad about that, but I've heard stories. She said she understood, then about 5 minutes later came back and said that they could make a spaghetti with steamed vegetables, and that the spaghetti was not made with egg. I ordered it, thinking it might be plain, but at least it was a safe bet.

About half an hour later, when our meals came, I saw this wonderful pile of spaghetti, with all these beautiful cucumbers, beans, asparagus and artichokes! It was so delicious, I kid you not. I was pleasantly suprised, and left with a happy tummy :)
So that, plus some chocolate soy ice cream, is what made my day. Have you ever had a pleasant suprise like this when dealing with an omni restaurant?
Oh, and also! I'm making vegan cupcakes for my grandpa to take sailing this weekend. Any suggestions? I'm making them, not telling him they're vegan until he comes back and tells me how delicious they were!

;)

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel bad about explaining exactly what a vegan is. While we are getting more recognition now, there are still a lot of people who don't know or just don't care. I always clarify what I can't eat just to be safe.

    I've had some really great thai dinners where they created something for me without all the usual fish sauce and shrimp paste laden sauces. It was really great! Also, at my friend's wedding a few years ago they did an amazing job - a delicious and huge chickpea curry followed by a slice of actual vegan cake for dessert. No vegetable stacks or fruit platters there. ;)

    Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World is my go to cupcake book, there are some amazing ones in there. Or the strawberry cupcakes in Joy Of Vegan Baking are pretty amazing too. Otherwise there are LOADS of cupcake recipes on blogs!

    ReplyDelete